Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sumie Thinking


I seem to navigate a lot of questions from colleagues about the various paths of my work; the drawings (collages), the perches (social sculptures), Pocket Utopia (my salon space) and my various participatory and sometime performative events. Questioning is good.

It is even better when people answer their own questions. Maybe that is what art (life) is all about anyway; finding answers on your own. I recently received this email from another artist and felt it worthy of reprinting here:

Your collages are infused with concerns present in your sculptures and Pocket Utopia which adds an unusual pragmatic feel to the visual pleasure of them.


Above is a sumie sketch by my mom. I observed one of her workshops while in DC this weekend. More on the path of sumie in a later post.

No comments: